Horseback Riding in the Rocky Mountain National Park for Jenna’s 27th Birthday at the Moraine Park Riding Stables
Who loves Horseback Riding? Jenna and I took a really nice vacation in the Rocky Mountains in September 2017. I’ll post more about what we did during our trip. I have a ton of pictures and videos to go through when I get the time, which is why I am just now posting these 13 months later lol. We spent our entire vacation exploring as much of the area as possible, so we wanted to take it easy on her birthday.
I was able to squeeze us into a last minute horseback riding adventure. We opted for the 3 hour ride since our legs were already exhausted from days of hiking up the mountains. 3 hours turned out to be just enough. Our thighs were pretty sore but it didn’t stop us from having more fun. We want to go back sometime and do the 6 or 8 hour ride.
I wanted Jenna to go ahead of me but she insisted on staying in the back because she liked the little horse. So I had to keep twisting my body around trying to get pictures of her having fun lol. My horse kept stopping and eating all the grass. The tour guide kept telling me not to let him eat, but he was hungry lol. He also kept going into a full sprint and walking off the trail. I kept getting “yelled at”. Apparently they aren’t allowed to do anything besides walk the trail to keep everyone safe. We had a lot of fun and it was a great idea for a birthday present 🙂
Have you seen our 2019 West Michigan Calendars? They are very high quality and make great gifts!
More info about the Moraine Park Riding Stables (Photo Gallery Below)
The Moraine Park Stable is conveniently located near the Moraine Park campground, only 6.9 miles from Estes Park and 4.2 miles inside Rocky Mountain National Park. The park was declared America’s 10th national park in 1915 and offers an extensive trail system with over 260 miles open to riders.
Moraine Park Riding Stables offers a variety of rides duration’s
Their Family Friendly environment is the perfect way to show people of all ages the beauty of the Rockies and the all wildlife that call this place home. Their staff will strive to accommodate your every need and make your horseback riding experience as pleasant and fun as possible.
- 2 Hour Ride: This ride to Beaver Meadows is perfect for the entire family! The meadow is one of the best places in Colorado to see herds of elk! It is comfortable for beginners but still full of amazing views and wildlife.
- 3 Hour Ride: The three hour ride goes into mountain meadows, has beautiful vistas and is a wildlife spotters dream ride. It traces gentle hills and follows the Big Thompson River into Moraine Park. With the ever changing drama of wildlife and mountains we will adjust the ride as we go along to the the best areas for your group.
- 4 Hour ride: The Ride To The Top Of Beaver Mountain! On this exciting ride you will climb over 1,000 feet to the top of Beaver Mountain, elevation 9,251 ft! From the top you can see the Continental Divide, Longs Peak, and many meadows far below. This ride is suitable for ages 6 and up and has fantastic views and picture opportunities!
- 6 hour ride: Rivers! Lakes! And Water Falls! If you are looking for a more extended riding experience, this is the ride for you! Our 6 hour ride takes the Fern Lake Trail by the Big Thompson River, where you will ride alongside wild rapids and see several water falls. Pass Arch Rocks, Fern Falls, and Fern Creek. At Fern Lake, 9,520 feet, you will take a break for lunch (bring your own) before heading back toward the stable.
- 8 hour ride: This All Day Ride Has It All! Starts at 8,100 feet and climbs all the way to 10,020ft. Along the way, you’ll see Moraine Meadow, the Big Thompson River, Arch Rocks, Fern Falls, Fern Lake (where you stop 30 min. for lunch (bring your own), Fern Creek, Tourmaline Gorge, Old Forest Inn, Forest Canyon, and Odessa Lake! If you are looking for a truly memorable ride, this is the one for you!